This is a firm favourite that incorporates the best of the Byron Shire’s farmers market organic and local produce and our beautiful tonic herbs into a family-friendly dish. The potent adaptogenic herbs in our
Mason's Mushroom's will boost vitality and encourage longevity.
- 1-2 Tbs Mason’s Mushrooms
- 2 lamb shanks
- Large glug of olive oil
- 2 red onions, diced
- 3-6 cloves garlic (depends on how much you like garlic!), peeled and crushed
- 1 bunch coriander, leaves and stalks separated, stalks finely chopped and leaves plucked from stalks
- Approx 2 litres broth or spring water (we used homemade broth)
- 8 very ripe tomatoes, diced (can use 1 x 400g tin organic tomatoes instead)
- 3 small or 1 large capsicum, diced
- 2-3 large potatoes, scrubbed and diced
- 1 cup frozen organic peas
- 5 bay leaves
- 1-2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- Pepper to taste
- In a large cast iron pot or heavy bottomed saucepan, warm olive oil over medium heat. When hot, add lamb shanks and cook until browned, a few minutes on each side.
- Remove shanks and set aside.
- Add onions, garlic and coriander stalks to the pot and cook until onion is translucent and sweet.
- Stir in remaining vegetables and cook until colour brightens. Return lamb shanks to pot, then add stock or water to cover and Mason’s Mushrooms.
- Cook over very low heat (or transfer to a slow cooker) until meat is very tender, about 4 hours.
- Check for seasoning, adding more salt or mushrooms especially to taste.
- Serve with fresh coriander leaves.