Today Tahnee chats with Dr. Jolene Brighten, who is the author of Beyond the Pill. As the name suggests, this book explores the effects of the Pill and how to transition healthily off it. Coming off the Pill can often lead to a whole host of symptoms, but these symptoms can be seen as opportunities for greater health. The ladies share their experiences as new mum's and the challenges that must be navigated. So often, women can lose trust in their body and ability to heal and part of this can be associated with how often women's needs are dismissed in the general practitioner forum. Informed consent around the Pill is required and often missing in the Western setting. The ladies remind us that our bodies never betray us, they want us to thrive!
The ladies discuss:
- Postpartum challenges.
- How magnesium is a godsend for cramps.
- The in's and out's of PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome).
- The natural approach will always take time, so be patient.
- Birth control-anxiety-depression; there's a connection to explore.
- The key to balanced hormones are a supported liver and gut system.
- DIM and broccoli sprouts are a girls best friend when dealing wth estrogen issues.
- Ever feel dizzy upon standing up? Add some good quality salt to your water.
- A Pill bleed is not a true cycle, it is simply a withdrawal bleed from the medication.
- During third trimester, the female brain shrinks! To allow for hyper focus on the newborn. Baby brain is real!
- Using the Pill increases your chances of several health issues (cardiovascular disease, clots, diabetes).
- Regardless of your want to have a baby or not, during the reproductive years, being fertile is integral to overall health.
- Liquorice is very beneficial for new mums and PCOS sufferers, it's anti-inflammatory, supports cortisol and helps manage androgens.
Who is Dr. Jolene Brighten?
Dr. Jolene Brighten is a Functional Medicine Naturopathic Medical Doctor and the founder of Rubus Health, a women’s medicine clinic that specialises in women’s hormones. She is recognized as a leading expert in Post-Birth Control Syndrome and the long-term side effects associated with hormonal contraceptives. Dr. Brighten is the author of Beyond the Pill, a 30-day plan to support women on birth control, help them transition off, and eliminate symptoms of post-birth control syndrome. She is a speaker, women’s health advocate, and a medical advisor for one of the first data-driven apps to offer women personalised birth control recommendations.
Q: How Can I Support The SuperFeast Podcast?