FREE Standard Shipping on all orders, December 7th-18th! T's & Cs Apply
FREE Shipping on all orders, December 7th-18th! T&Cs Apply
Nourishing Cordyceps Congee
We love adding a variety of medicinal mushrooms and herbs to our congees - favourites inlude shiitake, reishi, astragalus, chaga, cordyceps, and lion’s mane.
Congee is medicinal and nourishing, the ultimate healing food. Rice is simple to digest, and the broth that it is cooked in, combined with the herbal accompaniments, pack a high nutritional punch for such a simple meal. We love adding a variety of medicinal mushrooms and herbs to our congees - favourites inlude shiitake, reishi, astragalus, chaga, cordyceps, and lion’s mane.
This recipe can be made vegan by using vegan broth in place of chicken broth and by omitting the chicken. You can also buy good quality broth from organic markets, or make your own. We save all our kitchen scraps and peels and make a lovely broth every week or two. Be wary of boullion cubes; they’re usually full of poor quality salts ,‘natural flavours’ and MSG.
- 1 tbs SuperFeast Cordyceps
- 1 1⁄2 - 2 litres chicken stock (we prefer homemade)
- 1 cup jasmine rice, washed and drained
- 1 organic chicken, cut into pieces. Use the breast and drumsticks for this recipe, keep the rest for your next broth OR 2 organic chicken Marylands
- 1 cm ginger bashed, or 1 tbs dried ginger
- 3 spring onions, chopped finely, green part only (save the whites for frying, see below)
- 1/3 cup fried shallots (we fry the whites above in coconut oil)
- Light soy sauce or tamari
- Few sprigs of coriander including stalks, chopped
- White pepper, to taste
- Few drops of sesame oil
Step 1Place chicken stock, rice, chicken pieces and ginger into a medium pot and bring to the boil. Lower to a simmer and cook until the rice has broken down to a thick soup. Congee may be cooked to several different stages and textures depending on what your preference is. We like ours mushy!
Step 2To serve, remove chicken and shred nicely. Return the shredded meat to the congee with the SuperFeast Cordyceps and stir. Save the bones for your next broth.
Step 3Spoon one to two ladles of congee into a bowl and serve with a sprinkle of spring onions, coriander, shallots, a drizzle of soy, pinch of white pepper and sesame oil.
Adaptogenic Ashwagandha Curry
It's that time of year in the southern hemisphere, where the chill factor is getting high. This is a perfect, warming and very nourishing recipe with plenty of anti-inflammatory and punchy spices and herbs. Not to mention, this recipe trojan...Read more