Autoimmunity (AI). You've heard it, but what is it? Today Mason is joined by SuperFeast fave naturopath, Dan Sipple to explore the beast that is autoimmunity and what factors play a role in autoimmune conditions. Perhaps the Western definition of AI is too cut and dry; the guys discuss the Eastern approaches and how the gut environment plays a key role (we've got two gut health podcasts Part One
and Part Two
, if you want to brush up on your gut health). This episode dives deeply into the ancient Daoism behind AI patterns and which tonic herbs and medicinal mushrooms can help support the body during these times. If you're afflicted with an AI condition, this episode is for you.
"Autoimmunity is when the body is seemingly attacking itself" - Mason Taylor
The guys discuss:
- Suppression of autoimmune issues leads to significant illness later on
- Treatment of autoimmunity from the Taoist perspective
- Leaky gut (intestinal permeability) causes a barrage against your immune system - a significant initiating factor of AI
- Pleghm, edema, heat toxicity, dampness, all AI symptoms; the TCM patterns
- According to TCM, upright Qi is vital for immunity (astragalus for the win)
- SuperFeast Chaga, Reishi and Astragalus, are top immunity herbs
- The tightening / tenseness within the body is exacerbating AI symptoms; must release the tension
- There are hard coded AI genes, BUT environment / diet / movement / community / purpose / stress all affect their expression
- Cortisol Awakening Response (CAR) in the morning, helps determine the degree of autoimmune cells tagged in the thymus gland for destruction by your immune system. So if your CAR is flat lined (from smashing coffees, burning the candle at both ends, constant fight or flight / Yang state), cortisol production is low and you're more prone to unchecked destructive inflammation
- The traditional Western belief that high Th1 causes AI, is no longer relevant
- Those with AI - do not put chemicals on the skin, get in the sun, skin brush
Who is Dan Sipple?
Dan is a also known as The Functional Naturopath who uses cutting-edge evidence-based medicine. Experienced in modalities such as herbal nutritional medicine, with a strong focus on environmental health and longevity, Dan has a wealth of knowledge in root-dysfunction health.
Mason in China at the Poria Farm
Benny Ferguson Movement Monk
Mason Retreat February 2019
Gut Health - Mase and Dan
Q: How Can I Support The SuperFeast Podcast?
A: Tell all your friends and family and share online! We’d also love it if you could subscribe and review this podcast on iTunes. Or check us out on Stitcher:)! Plus we're on Spotify and Soundcloud!
Check Out The Transcript Here: